Saturday, May 8, 2010

Growing Season

Growing Season

So my last post was during the winter snowstorm and now it's May and the weather is significantly different! Blue skies, sunshine, and the plants and flowers are growing like mad! (Click the image to visit the entire album of pictures.)

This year I'm growing zucchini/courgettes, beets/beetroot, red bell peppers, tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, and rhubarb. Our two apple trees also have baby apples that look very promising!

The hostas are bigger than ever and my clematis has taken over the trellis already. I also have an itty bitty sunflower that I'm hoping will survive as Joshua gave it to me for Mother's Day.

I've been watering diligently and the warm temps have been helping. Have managed to keep the birds away from the plants (the bird feeder and bath are way over in the other corner of the garden, which I think helps) and, after Peter Rabbit visited the strawberry patch and was caught munching on the leaves (fortunately there were no strawberries at that point), I installed a fence and he hasn't found his way back in. We also have a very curious and friendly turtle that we need to keep out of the plants!

5 comments:

  1. I must say that I am very impressed by your green fingers!! We really enjoyed eating our own produce but as we thought we were moving farms this year we didn't plant any veges....ahh well, I shall look forward to planting our vege garden this spring with an extra pair of hands in Ellie, although I am not sure how helpful she will be??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, maybe she'll enjoy digging in the dirt! Joshua started helping me dig up potatoes last year but got bored after the first few! Now they just know to stay away... Happy Mother's Day for tomorrow, by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks fab - you must obviously be getting alot more sun than we are here. I haven't even planted my potatoes yet! The hostas & clematis look lovely too, I remember that they looked lovely when we visited last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm so impressed - didn't realise you were so green fingered! Wish we could have some of your lovely weather - it's sooooo cold here! Have tentatively started planting summer bedding in the hope that the puppies don't devastate the garden again this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's going downhill fast...a bird ate one of my strawberries (only have a handful!) and had to bring the peppers inside as temps dropped to low 40s overnight. Glad I put them in a container and not in the ground!

    ReplyDelete