Friday, October 30, 2009

Fine Wine, Delicious Food

We just got back from a wine tasting at Chrysalis Vineyards in Middleburg followed by dinner at Hunter's Head Tavern in Upperville, and I should be going to bed to get enough sleep before an early run tomorrow, but we had such a great time and, because I'm new to this blogging thing and excited about sharing everything, I have to blog about it RIGHT NOW! We went out with our friends and neighbors Kim and Mike, who had a free (even better!) tasting at Chrysalis Vineyards. Actually, it wasn't just a tasting, it was a "tour." So we got the whole history of the vineyard, the grapes, our wine-pourer/hospitality manager Humberto from Cuba...a bit much for me, especially early on, when I was thinking, "just pour the wine! I'm paying the babysitter while you're talking!" By the 5th taste, I didn't mind so much. ;) By the 7th, I couldn't tell the difference between the wines. After the tasting he showed us the grapes growing on the vine (which looked beautiful, although probably more so because I'd had a lot of wine...for me!) and then, the piece de resistance, the wine-making facility, which smelled fantastic!


We sat down after our tasting and shared a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers, since it was only 4:30 and our dinner reservation wasn't until 6:00. Dinner was at Hunter's Head Tavern, a pub that I've known about for years but had never - for one reason or another - visited until now. It's a traditional English pub where the menu is on a chalkboard and you order at the bar. The menu was quite extensive, although not as large as the better English pubs. The tavern uses local, organic food from Ayrshire Farm I ordered Bangers and Mash, Stuart got Beef and Guinness Stew, and Kim and Mike both had Pork Chops. The food was amazing! Unfortunately I had no room for dessert, but Kim and Mike split a Sticky Toffee pudding...yum. If you haven't tried Hunters Head, you must go! Not only is the food fabulous, it's very reasonably priced! I will definitely be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment